• Follow us Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Google+  

Photo
- - - - -

Top Ten Most Remote Places (Lower 48 States)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 artifactsofmars

artifactsofmars
  • 39 posts
  • Nationality: Country Flag

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

If you really want to get away from it all, here you go. This site lists the most remote areas in the continental US. My special fascination is with I-70 in Eastern Utah, some rather bleak looking hills in the state, where there is almost nothing for more than a hundred miles. I would think it would be cold in the winter, and tough to get water in the summer. Driving through there you are on your own. Runner up is Wyoming. I find that one pretty fascinating, a great place to live. Top 10 Remote Areas in the Contiguous United States | Listosaur | Hungry for Knowledge

Edited by Hybrid, 23 November 2013 - 10:05 PM.

Similar Topics     x

#2 QuirkyJessi

QuirkyJessi
  • 312 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:23 PM

Posted Image

What a stunning view! I don't think I would necessarily make the drive unless I were actually headed to somewhere not quite as remote....but to use that as my travel path? Gorgeous.

#3 Kam147

Kam147
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:43 AM

I have been to Wyoming on more than one occasion, and I wouldn't describe it as a remote destination, but I would definitely describe it as a place where one can go to experience solitude, and that is what I loved about it. It is the least populous state in the United States, and it is also (in my opinion) one of the most naturally-beautiful states in the United States. Being there has always made me ask "why would anyone not want to live here?", while, on some occasions, at the same time ask "why and how could anyone ever live here?!?"

#4 QuirkyJessi

QuirkyJessi
  • 312 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

Being there has always made me ask "why would anyone not want to live here?", while, on some occasions, at the same time ask "why and how could anyone ever live here?!?"

That's exactly how I have felt in some rural areas before. It can be absolutely stunning. At the same time, I wouldn't want to live there full time. I would much rather just visit and enjoy the nature every now and then.

#5 RParadon

RParadon
  • 393 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:52 AM

When I was young I needed excitement, but now it is just as exciting to find solitude at times. Thanks for the site!To me, the I-70 photo was the best!

Edited by RParadon, 14 November 2012 - 02:55 AM.

#6 CrystalRose

CrystalRose
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

POPULAR

Wow, I have actually been to 7 out of those 10 places! One place that I would like to add to the list is Northern California’s Humboldt County and Lost Coast (these are both part of the same region). The Lost Coast is actually the largest stretch of undeveloped coastline in California. This region is also home to the largest stretch of Redwood forest in the world and these are also the largest trees in the world. It is really a magical place, filled with fresh air and lots of greenery.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 mariposa

mariposa
  • 301 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

What a great link!  Before I saw the list and was just going to answer, the thing that came into my mind was some places around the Utah desert... I've seen footage and there are spots that look like they're from another planet.  Or like a movie set.  I'd really like to see most of these places and I've not been to any of them yet!

#8 amundy8

amundy8
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:34 PM

Wow, I would love to visit those remote places, because they have such beautiful nature. There is so much to learn just in the open land if you like nature. The rock formations in Arizona are amazing! Remote areas have different types of trees and soil. Some (like New Mexico) have white sand that people collect as souvenirs. We collected sand they sold in gift shops. Some of their stones found in the earth are used as jewelry, that we also bought. Remote places make great family trips, instead of traveling alone.

#9 BlackSOlaris

BlackSOlaris
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:11 PM

If there is one thing that i love about the USA long stretch of roads is the absolute isolation of the rest of the world. It's like you are in another world, not even to say in the same country that millions of people. It's incredible to have some time alone, just riding your car during a hot day.

#10 SpringBreeze

SpringBreeze
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:08 AM

Wow, thanks for the website. There's still so much I need to see. That's the great thing about road tripping through the US. America is HUGE. So many places... so little time and money.  <sigh>  i really do need to buy an rv already. a man to drive it and do all the hook-ups would be nice too.  ;)

@CrystalRose  Thanks for the info and the gorgeous pics. I didn't know about the Lost Coast. It looks like it'd be a really beautiful trip.

#11 PhoenixFlying

PhoenixFlying
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:21 PM

Funny when I think about places to travel in the US i don't think about half in the list. And for some reason I never really give thought to Wyoming's existence. Must be that way for most people and so it maintains its space and beauty. This is a great list to have for remote getaways and like someone said earlier family and couple trips, not solo trips.